With our Canvas integration, eBECAS will handle the enrolment of the users into Canvas courses and sections.
In this article, you will learn the settings that are available and the different ways that eBECAS can enrol the users into courses and sections in Canvas.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Enrolments Settings
- 3 Map eBECAS Classes with Canvas Courses/Sections
- 4 Enrol Students into Canvas Courses/Sections from eBECAS
- 5 Update Canvas Enrolments for Students from eBECAS
- 6 View Canvas Enrolment Details in eBECAS
- 7 Enrol Teachers into Canvas Courses/Sections from eBECAS
A course and its sections (optional) in Canvas can be mapped to a class in eBECAS. As a class in eBECAS belongs to a subject, by allocating a student to a particular class, eBECAS can automatically enrol the students into the mapped course and sections (if defined). This mapping also allows the synchronisation of the assessments and results between Canvas and eBECAS.
Permissions Required: Canvas Admin
eBECAS provides different settings to manage the enrolment of users into courses and sections in Canvas. Use these options to meet your requirements.
- Go to Utilities>Setup Configuration
- From the Setup Configuration window, click on Setup>Canvas LMS Integration.
- Go to the Enrolments section and select the settings.
The settings available are:
- Auto Enrol on class allocation: If selected, and if the class is mapped to a course and a section (optional) in Canvas, when you allocate the students to that class, eBECAS will enrol automatically the Canvas user into the mapped course and section (if mapped in the class).
- Send email to student on Canvas enrolment: If selected, Canvas will send an email to the student confirming the enrolment into the course.
- Create user on enrolment: If selected, when a student is allocated to a mapped class, eBECAS will create the user in Canvas for that student (if it does not exist).
- Initial Enrolment State: The initial status of the enrolment. The available options are:
- Active: The student will be immediately enrolled in the course.
- Invited: The student will be required to accept the course invitation.
- inactive: The student will be listed in the course roster but will not be able to participate in the course.
- Canvas enrolment dates: The dates of the students’ enrolment in the Canvas course and sections (if mapped). The options are:
- Canvas Course/Section Dates: The student’s enrolment in Canvas will have the same dates as the course/sections in Canvas.
- eBECAS Class dates: The student’s enrolment in Canvas will have the same dates as the dates defined for the mapped class in eBECAS.
- eBECAS Enrolment dates: The student’s enrolment in Canvas will have the same dates as the enrolment related to the mapped class in eBECAS.
- No Enrolment dates set: The student’s enrolment in Canvas will have no defined dates.
Map eBECAS Classes with Canvas Courses/Sections
The mapping of the Canvas course and sections to the eBECAS class is performed in the class set up view.
- From the navigation menu, go to Classes>VET & HE Classes
- If you are creating a new class, click on ‘New’ from the Options panel. If you want to set up the mapping for an existing class, locate the class and click on ‘Modify’ on the ‘Options’ panel. The class create/edit view will show.
- Enter the details for the class (location. Module, Class name and dates)
- Use the Canvas fields to select the course and section that you want to map the class to (by selecting the option ‘Filter Canvas by Class Dates’, only courses and sections in Canvas that have dates defined and that those dates overlap to the class dates will display).
- Canvas Account: Select the account that the course in Canvas belongs to. By selecting the parent account of the course, the values in the course field will be filtered accordingly.
- Canvas Course: Select the course that you want to map the class to.
- Canvas Section: If you want to map the class to a particular section within the selected course in Canvas, select the section. If you do not want to map the class to any section, do not select any option.
If you want to map the class to a section that does not exist in the Canvas course yet, you can create it from eBECAS. To do so:
- Tick the checkbox ‘Create New Section for Class’. By doing so, the ‘Canvas Section‘ field will become a text field with the name of the class pre-populated.
- Enter a meaningful name for the section in the ‘Canvas Section’ field. This will be the name of the new section in the Canvas course.
By selecting or creating a section, the students allocated to that class will only be enrolled into the selected section in Canvas.
Note: If the value that you are looking for is not available on the Canvas fields, you need to refresh the data from the Canvas elements (click here to learn more).
- Finish the set up of the class by entering the sessions.
- Click on ‘Save’.
Enrol Students into Canvas Courses/Sections from eBECAS
Permissions Required: Canvas Editor
The enrolment of students into the Canvas courses and section occur at the class level in eBECAS. There are multiple ways of doing that:
- This method requires that the setting ‘Auto Enrol on class allocation’ is enabled (see section ‘Enrolment Settings’ above).
- Only new allocations to the mapped classes will trigger the automated enrolment. To enrol students into Canvas courses/sections that were already allocated to a class in eBECAS, before the mapping of the class was set, see the section below ‘Manual Enrolment’.
After you have mapped the eBECAS class to a Canvas course/section, every new student allocated to that particular class, will trigger the enrolment of the respective user(s) into the Canvas course/sections. Before enrolling the user, eBECAS will check if the Canvas user for that student exists. Additionally, If the setting ‘Create user on enrolment‘ is enabled (see Enrolment Settings section above), eBECAS will create the user for the student (if it does not exist). If this setting is not enabled and the user does not exist in Canvas, eBECAS won’t be able to enrol the student in Canvas.
Note: This method requires that the Canvas course/sections are already mapped to class in eBECAS (see section above).
To manually enrol students into a Canvas course/sections that are already allocated to a class:
- From the navigation menu in eBECAS, go to Classes>VET & HE Classes.
- Use the filters available to locate the class of interest.
- You can also use the Canvas-related columns to filter the records.
- Select the class of interest.
- Click on ‘Allocation‘ from the Class panel. The list of the students currently allocated to the class will display.
- Select the student or students that you want to enrol into the mapped Canvas course/sections.
- Tip: Use Ctrl + A to select all the students.
- Click on ‘Create/Update Canvas Enrolment‘
- A message with the result of the operation will display.
Update Canvas Enrolments for Students from eBECAS
Permissions Required: Canvas Editor
If you update the mapped Canvas course/section of a class that already has students, or you change the settings for the enrolment dates or the dates themselves, and you need those changes to reflect on the enrolments in Canvas, you can follow the same process described in the section above ‘Manual Enrolments’.
View Canvas Enrolment Details in eBECAS
The enrolment of a student in a Canvas course/section is linked to a result of the student for the associated subject in eBECAS (association via the class in eBECAS). Therefore, you are able to see the details of the Canvas enrolment from the results of the subject in eBECAS. To do so:
- Locate the enrolment for the student that you want to see the Canvas enrolment details for.
- Click on the ‘Results’ tab.
- Double-click on the subject of interest (remember that a class in eBECAS belongs to a particular subject in the student’s enrolment). The Results view will display.
- Click on the ‘Canvas’ Tab
- If required, click on ‘Refresh Canvas details’ on the ‘Canvas’ panel to fetch the current information from Canvas.
Enrol Teachers into Canvas Courses/Sections from eBECAS
Permissions Required: Canvas Editor
The enrolment of teachers into the Canvas courses and section occur at the class level in eBECAS.
You can enrol the teachers into the mapped Canvas course/section when you are creating or editing the class in eBECAS.
- In eBECAS, go to the class of interest.
- Create the sessions for the class and assign the teachers accordingly (you can select one of more teachers).
- Tick the checkbox ‘Enrol Teachers on Save‘. By selecting this option, eBECAS will enrol the teachers into the mapped Canvas course/section.
- Click ‘Ok‘
Before enrolling the teacher, eBECAS will check if the Canvas user for the teachers exist. Additionally, If the setting ‘Create user on enrolment‘ is enabled (see Enrolment Settings section above), eBECAS will create the user for the teachers (if they do not exist). If this setting is not enabled and the user does not exist in Canvas, eBECAS won’t be able to enrol the teachers in Canvas.
When you are editing a class, you can also click on the button ‘Enrol/Update Teachers in Canvas now‘ (if enabled) to enrol and create the users (if the setting is enabled) for the teachers are are assigned to the sessions in the class.